BleachBit is a very easy-to-use program designed to clean the operating system of various digital garbage. There are versions for Windows and Linux operating systems (cleans memory and swap partitions, as well as redundant locales).
BleachBit deletes unnecessary files and removes traces of the user’s stay on the World Wide Web. The various options are selected manually from the BleachBit menu and the clean button is pressed (protection against reckless actions by users is provided)
BleachBit permanently deletes unnecessary files. The right part of the program window explains the actions of each point of cleaning.
It is also possible to use cleaning templates that can be shared via the World Wide Web.
License: Free (Open Source).
Changes in BleachBit 4.2.0 Final:
- Add cleaner for Zoom (suggested by cybercom02).
- Add cleaner for Pale Moon (thanks to arckat324).
- Add cleaner for Slack messenger (suggested by summonholmes).
- Fix: Preserve bookmarked favicons when cleaning Firefox (reported by Team-Sys, fixed by rados).
- Clean more: Firefox bookmarked sites (reported by KodrosX), moz_origins, favicons.
- Support shredding with deep scan (fixed by Max Khon).
- Support advanced searches in deep scan: nregex, wholeregex, and nwholeregex (fixed by Max Khon).
- Fix: AttributeError error message when using the menu option “shred settings and quit” (reported by ediowar, fixed by Max Khon).
- Fix: remove “closest monitor” debugging message (reported by Gitoffthelawn, fixed by Max Khon).
- Fix: set output of chaff to be human readable instead of base64 encoded.
- Fix: do not delete LibreOffice extensions (reported by sebas22).
- Specific to Linux
- Add packages for latest Fedora (32 and 33) and Ubuntu (20.04 and 20.10).
- Clean Chromium when installed as snap (reported by Martii).
- Fix KeyError: 'win10_theme' when switching visual themes (reported by Ashutosh-Kukreti, fixed by Max Khon).
- Fix: warning SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal with Python version 3.8 (thanks to s-ankur).
- Fix: loop when maximizing window (reported by ediowar, fixed thanks to Max Kohn).
- Fix: dnf autoremove returned TypeError: a bytes-like object is required, not 'str' and left orphaned process (reported by terrycloth).
- Do not package the unneeded Winapp.py file (reported by terrycloth).
- Specific to Windows
- Add cleaner for Chromium-based Microsoft Edge (thanks to Max Khon).
- Fix: wiping special files returned TypeError: ord () or access denied (reported by David-Gonzalez1109 and WilliamBeltranC, fixed thanks to Max Khon).
- Fix: UnicodeDecodeError: 'charmap' codec can't decode byte [...] error when cleaning Google chrome (first reported by Robert51, fixed by Max Khoh).
- Fix: missing version number in executable metadata (reported by MusiqueGraeme, fixed by Max Khoh).
- Fix: do not install unwanted translation (first reported by MPet1, fixed by Max Khon).
- Fix: in the about dialog, the website button failed (reported by cliftonprince, fixed by Max Khon).
- Fix: all characters were shown as rectangles because of a font error (first reported by mayerthomas, fixed by Max Khon).
- Fix: OSError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument error when wiping free space (first reported by gator101, fixed by Max Khon).
- Fix: the menu option “shred settings and quit” did not delete winapp2.ini (reported by ediowar, fixed by Max Khon).
- Fix: make deep scan case insensitive (fixed by Max Khon).
- Fix: delete gdbus-nonce-file temporary files (reported by Gitoffthelawn).
- Fix: error message AttributeError: 'gi.repository.Gtk' object has no attribute 'show_uri_on_window' on older Linux distributions such as Ubuntu 16.06 (reported by ediowar, fixed by Anatoli Babenia).
- Do not distribute unneeded fonts.
- Renew the code signing certificate (SHA256).