lighttpd is a web server specifically designed to be fast, secure and resource-intensive. It was originally created as a solution to the C10K problem – serving 10,000 simultaneous requests on a web server, but later gained worldwide popularity.
It is optimized to handle the maximum number of requests, taking up as little system resources as possible. This makes it a desirable choice in environments that have load problems.
The application can run in Unix / Linux environments and Windows (via Cygwin). lighttpd supports the chroot system function, which contributes to its security.
Support for FastCGI, CGI, SSL, TLS, LDAP authentication, RRDTool, WebDAV, virtual hosting, address translation, compression and much more is also included.
License: Free (GPL).
Changes in lighttpd 1.4.58:
- [mod_wolfssl] use wolfSSL TLS version defines
- [mod_wolfssl] compile with earlier wolfSSL vers
- [tests] collect code for “die-at-end” tests
- [tests] remove FastCGI test dependency on libfcgi
- [core] prefer IPv6 + IPv4 func vs IPv4-specific func
- [tests] remove FastCGI test dependency on PHP
- [core] reuse large mem chunks (fix mem usage) (fixes # 3033)
- [core] add comment for FastCGI mem use in hctx → rb (# 3033)
- [mod_proxy] fix sending of initial reqbody chunked
- [multiple] fdevent_waitpid () wrapper
- [core] sys-time.h – localtime_r, gmtime_r macros
- [core] http_date.[ch] encapsulate HTTP-date parse
- [core] specialized strptime () for HTTP date fmts
- [multiple] employ http_date.h, sys-time.h
- [core] http_date_timegm () (portable timegm ())
- buffer_append_path_len () to join paths
- [core] inet_ntop_cache → sock_addr_cache
- [tests] slight speed up checking for server ready
- [tests] load required modules in alt .conf tests
- [multiple] floor.[ch] → http_etag.[ch]; better imp
- [core] fix crash after specific err in config file
- [core] fix bug in FastCGI uploads (# 3033)
- [tests] OpenBSD crypt () support limited to bcrypt
- [core] http_response_match_if_range ()
- [mod_webdav] typedef off_t loff_t for FreeBSD
- [multiple] chunkqueue_write_chunk ()
- [build] add GNUMAKEFLAGS= —No-print-directory
- [tests] consolidate some tests / content
- [core] fix bug in read retry found by coverity